CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ducks or Yellow Day

So . . . I thought I'd get on the band wagon and post one of the lessons that I did today. I figured if I started to do this that you guys would too so that I could get your fabulous ideas!! A little background-

I work at the local Rec Center Preschool. When they hired me they told me that my focus on was to get the kids ready for P.E., so I've tried to incorporate a lot of gross motor activities in my lesson, so don't be surprised when that is the majority of what we do in a lesson. Also we only do it for an hour and a half. So that is why you might need more activities for this day.

But if you need a Duck Activity or if you are talking about Yellow, this is what we did.

Circle Time
We talked about the different things in the world or room that are yellow. Then we sang the song: _____ is wearing yellow today
Yellow today, Yellow today
_____ is wearing yellow today
All day long!
We took a moment to talk about the sun and read the book "Our Friend the Sun". And then we talked about ducks. We read a book about ducks and then we got in a line and I was the Mama Duck and they were my baby ducks and we walked around the room waddling and quaking.

Art Time
For art I had found a picture of a baby duck that had no wings in the picture. So I copied it on yellow construction paper and made a copy for all the kids. We talked about what was wrong with the poor baby duck and how we needed to help him get some feathers. So then we took craft glue (regular glue does not work for this acitivity) and some craft feathers and glued them where ever they thought that their duck needed some feathers. They turned out super cute!

Snack Time
We ate banana's, twinkies, and yellow fruit loops, all washed down with some fabulous water!

Acitivity Time
We did three different activities.
1. I split them into two teams and we played "Quakers for Crackers". I put a chair at one end of the room with a muffin tin with a craker in each tin. Then they had to waddle like a duck up to the tin, quack like a duck, and then waddle back to their line and high-five the next one to go.

Then both groups seperated and we did the next two activities for five minutes and then switched.
2. Played "Duck, Duck, Goose" always a good time!
3. I brought a laundry basket and a whole bunch of different colored rubber duckies. I told them that the basket was our make-believe pond and we had to get the ducks back into it! So we put the basket in the middle and spread out. Then I'd call a color out and who ever had the color would throw it into the basket, if they missed they got another turn until that color was all in. Then I'd call out another color and so on and so forth.

Anyways that was our Yellow Day! It was a lot of fun and the kids seemed to have a good time. I hope this helps some one at some time!

1 comment:

  1. Jenni thanks so much for posting!! I will try to add some things here within the next week! My lesson plans lately have been focused on a certain letters. It will be so fun to learn from one another!

    ReplyDelete